Hello! My name is Mariam Tsimpris McFalls, and I have taught private voice and piano lessons for the last 20 years. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Voice from the University of Houston. I am originally from Wood River, IL (St. Louis area) and attended Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville for 2 years before relocating to Houston. I graduated from U of H in 1986. I studied voice with Ms. Jean Preston at U of H, and with Ms. Sarah Turner at SIU. My focus of teaching is classical in nature. I believe that the purpose of a voice teacher is to master the techniques of using the voice properly. Therefore, the first 15 minutes of a voice lesson is devoted to vocal exercise. The latter half of the lesson is devoted to learning songs. My specialties are classical art songs and arias, and Broadway tunes.
I taught myself to play the piano by watching my older sisters play. I was able to match pitches and mimic rhythmic sequences at an early age. Eventually, when I became a little older, I was able to take private lessons with the local teacher (Elmer Curry) in Wood River. I continued my studies by taking a year of class piano in college, and was told by the professor that I should pursue a degree in piano. I am familiar with most piano methods, however, my favorites are Faber, Carol Matz Piano Method, and Piano Pronto..
Through the years I've taken different career paths - I was a licensed Optician and Corporate Trainer for 15 years, I also managed an electronics engineering company, as well as tackling the financial world of corporate tax laws. However, music has always been my first love, my backbone, my saving grace. My happiest moments are with a student, guiding them on their musical journey, and seeing their face light up when they have accomplished a piece that they thought they would never be able to do.
- Music Teachers National Association
- Austin District Music Teachers Association
- Bay Area Music Teachers Association
- Wednesday Morning Music Club - National Federation of Music Clubs, Austin
- Gulf Coast Music Association - National Federation of Music Clubs, Clear Lake (gold cup) - President 2011-2015
- National Guild of Piano Teachers
- National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS)
- Choir Director, St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Church - 1998 to present
Festivals students may participate in:
- Jazz/Pop Festival - in the Fall
- State Theory Test (student affiliate members only) - in the Fall and Spring
- Contemporary/Baroque Repertoire Festival - alternates in early spring
- Gold Cup Festival - typically first Saturday in March
- Romantic/Sonatina Repertoire Festival - alternates in late spring
- Musicianship Repertoire Festival - late spring